Principal's Update November 18, 2020
Dear Addison Families,
Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to Thanksgiving next week. As a reminder, PAUSD is closed next week from Nov. 23-27.
With the upcoming holidays just around the corner, it's important to remind our community of the State and County Travel Guidelines:
On Monday November 9, Health Officers from 10 Bay Area counties issued joint recommendations for staying safe during the holidays. Their recommendations cover gatherings and travel, with recommended steps to reduce risk including:
- Keeping gatherings small, short, stable, and outdoors
- Choosing not to travel if Nonessential
- For those who are traveling outside the Bay Area, tips are provided to help avoid catching COVID-19 or spreading it to fellow travelers
- A 14 day self-quarantine is strongly recommended after a return from traveling out of state as per CA Dept. of Public Health
For the families and staff who have returned to Addison in the hybrid model, it's very important to follow these guidelines for the health and well-being of our community and if we want schools to stay open. I highly encourage students to self-quarantine if leaving the state and accessing the "at home" learning opportunities via Schoology.
This past week, most CA counties moved in to the purple tier indicating a rise in COVID rates. Our Superintendent shared the following information in relation to this change:
- The rate of positive COVID cases in Palo Alto remains very low.
- The spike in Santa Clara County is largely attributed to Gilroy and parts of San Jose.
- Our elementary schools will remain open as outlined in the Public Health Department guidelines.
Currently, according to the guidelines, in order for the elementary sites to close, there would need to be 5% of the individuals on site (students, teachers, and staff) testing positive. For the district to close all elementary schools, there would need to be 25% of schools with the 5% rate.
I know these uncertain times are unsettling but the Addison hybrid students and staff continue doing a great job following our health protocols. Let's keep up our community commitment to keep each other safe throughout this holiday season. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.
This also is a good time to remind you about our Site Council Parent representatives. I meet with them once per month in our Site Council Meetings (along with two teachers and one classified rep.) to discuss facilities, programs, initiatives, and successes/ challenges in the community. Families in the community can reach out to the reps. to ask questions or share ideas. If you'd like to contact the parent reps., please see names and email addresses below:
- John Bressler, Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sanjiv Wadhwani: email@example.com
- Karna Nisewaner: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emily Meyer: email@example.com
I hope you have a wonderful week ahead and a joyful Thanksgiving.